When the temperature drops, our skin gets drier. It’s not just the hands that become dry but the nails too can become brittle. Use apricot oil to soften nails and scrub your hands once a week as a routine, suggest experts. Here are some tips to keep your nails and hands soft and moisturized during the cold season.
*Coat your hands with oil before bathing. This helps to protect your hands from the harsh soaps and hot water. Once you finish your bath or shower, apply moisturizer while your skin is still damp to help lock in moisture. Don’t forget to moisturize before sleeping as well.
* While we are remedying our hands from winter damage, nails too could use some protection and care. Nails tend to become brittle, just like skin which becomes dry and flaky, during winters. Include avocado oil as part of winter nail care routine. Apply a drop directly on each nail and rub the nail bed and cuticle for smoothness and shine.
* The patchy, dry skin is an indication of loss of moisture and the best way to re-moisturise it is by regular use of olive oil. The chemical composition of olive oil is considered to be the best match for our skin’s natural oils. The oil is rich in vitamin A, E and when applied topically, it prevents the oxidative destruction of our skin. Olive oil is more diversely used than other beauty oils and lotions, and it is natural. For effective results, massage the oil on the partially damp skin and maintain the routine until the end of the season.
* The skin needs exfoliation to scrub off the dead skin layer and to reveal the new and younger underlying skin. Hence, a once-a-week exfoliation session is a must.
* Use mild soaps or soaps with moisturizers to avoid drying out your skin. Mild glycerin soaps are the best option.
* We all indulge in hot-showers to combat the cold winters, but they end up drying the skin. Lower the temperature of your shower or bath. Hot water strips the skin of natural oils. Use lukewarm water instead.
* Don’t forget to apply sunscreen 20 minutes before stepping out. Look for a hand lotion with SPF so you can moisturize and protect at the same time.
* Keep the nails in shape by regularly filing them and always apply a base coat for protection. This also gives them a natural-looking shine.